kiddos

kiddos

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Nap Times....Not just for the kids

So let's talk about naps. I know I could use one right about now. I had to work at 8 this morning, after being at work until almost 11 last night. As I sit here, watching the hurricane hit the city, I think 'man, this is good napping weather.' My kids are the ages now where they really do still need naps, but think that they don't. They aren't tired. But, if for some reason they don't actually sleep, may Jesus have mercy on us. They are terrors. They just want to fight each other, and anything else that gets in their way. If they will submit and take a nap, then they are usually pretty agreeable.
I think we all know, realize and recognize the benefits for the kiddos to take a nap. But this blog isn't about that. It's about being real, and the real reason why we want our kids....no NEED our kids to take a nap some days. We need it. We need the peace. The quiet. The break from the insanity of the constant bickering. He's looking at me, she touched my toys, he's breathing my air. It goes on and on. They fight so much, I have called my parents to apologize for the way my brother and I were when we were growing up. They can't seem to play well together, but they won't leave each other alone either. I wish I could say it will get better when they get older, but why am I going to lie to myself? At least, par some disaster of Cole getting held back or Livi getting bumped ahead, they won't have to be in the same grade!
There are days when I practically beg them to take a nap. I've even tried to bribe them. If you take a nap, then you can watch a movie when you wake up. Or we'll go to the library. Or something that is equally awesome and something that I would actually do. I never make promise I can't keep, that's just asking for trouble. If they don't take the break that I know that they need, because they are only really terrible when they don't get enough sleep (or if they're hungry, those kids are like gremlins!) then I won't get a break all day. I will be on edge, and get super mad about every little thing. What fun is that for anyone? And once you've gone down that road, it's hard to get off that I'm-angry train.
Nap time or quiet time is crucial in maintaining the sanity of a mother. In fact, I think I might take a nap right now......

2 comments:

Mrs. M said...

Gremlins.... Awesomeness!!!

keepitreal said...

lol I knew you'd love that part!