kiddos

kiddos

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Phone conversations with kids....counter-productive at best.

I actually had a suggestion for today's post, so I know now that it's not just me that this happens to! More often then not, the kids are playing peacefully (well as peacefully as they can possible play together) and I decide that I'll take this opportunity to catch up with some friends or family, or possibly even handle some business over the the phone if I need to. It's usually around this time, and I have yet to find out how they could even know how I'm on the phone in the first place, that they need something, anything. They must hear me talking through the vents or something. Or maybe they have a scanner or something up there that lets them know....I mean, have you met their dad? It wouldn't surprise me at all.
So I've dialed the number and it starts to ring. It's usually around this time that all hell breaks loose. Cole won't share his cars. Livi doesn't want to watch whatever movie or show is on. Cole is thirsty. Livi punched Cole in the face. The excuse is always different, the result is always the same. Whoever I am calling gets to hear "knock it off, I'm on the phone...oh hello, sorry." It's not like I could just hang up when the ruckus started, then I would just be prank calling people all day long.
The worst is when I have to make a phone call in the car. Save me the lecture on how I shouldn't talk and drive, we all do it. I use speaker phone usually, usually when I don't have the kids in the car. This is almost worse then trying to talk to someone on the phone at home. They can actually see me on the phone now. All I can hear when I'm on the phone is, "Who are you talking to? Can I say hi? I wanna talk. Why can't I talk? You're not nice. You're hurting my feelings. That's not a good idea. Who are you talking to again?" For this reason, I rarely make phone calls in the car with the kids. If I do have to call you, just be prepare to speak to the kids. I'm just going to apologize now to my family, friends, customer service agents, work or whoever else I have to talk to on the phone that have to say hello to my crazy children in order to continue the conversation. I truly do hate yelling at my kids while I'm on the phone. I know the people I'm talking to don't want to hear it, even if they have kids and totally understand. I get flustered and frustrated trying to have a conversation, whether it's for business or for my own sanity, and deal with whatever trouble the kids are cooking up at the time.
I know the kids just want some attention, but it's funny to me how they don't need anything from me until I start to do something else. Can't I just have a minute or two to have some adult conversation? I can't talk about Star Wars the Clone Wars or princesses or anything else they they decide to ask me about. That makes mommy into a crazy person. Sometimes, I need to talk about shoes, or gossip ,or whatever else comes to mind! I think I just need to invest in a soundproof booth. Maybe then I'll be able to accomplish a conversation without having to put someone in time out.

No comments: