kiddos

kiddos

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

All the small things...

There are times when you are reminded to slow down a little. Sometimes you ignore them, as I usually do, but sometimes you just give in to it. Today was a day that I just needed to take a moment. Sure, there is laundry to do, dishes to wash, organize something...a million things that need to get done. But it was time for Livi to take a nap. She's at that fun age where she totally still needs a nap (or else she'll just be hateful to everyone and everything) but she totally thinks she doesn't need it anymore so she fights every second of the way.

Sometimes I can bribe her to take a nap with the promise of something fun when she wakes up. Usually it's food. She is so her mother's daughter. Other times, all it takes is for me to lay down with her. I usually say no because I use that bit of time before the other two kids come home from school to get done those things that will be impossible with three hooligans running around. Other times, hell I could use a nap! Today, I just felt the need to take this time to lay with her.

Entirely too soon, she's not going to want to be around me. Soon she'll think it's embarrassing when I bust out in song everywhere we go and will randomly have a dance party because that song on the store radio is my jam. Even though she swears to me that when she is a teenager she will still want to hang out with me, she's 5. What the hell does she know? Plus, she won't put it on tape, so I don't know how much I believe it.

It's really easy to get swept up this time year. Making sure that there are going to be enough presents under the tree, running around for last minute presents and trying to find that perfect ugly sweater. This moments don't come often enough and they don't last. I am going to start making a conscience effort to take these moments when they happen. The laundry isn't going anywhere, the dishes can wait and who am I kidding? I don't organize shit. Organized chaos, that's what I say. Nap time is sacred. Get it while you can.

No comments: